LINKER PROBLEM?

Jeffery Cavallaro jeffery at sys.caltech.edu
Tue Jun 6 04:00:44 AEST 1989

I have experienced a problem with the 4.0 linker and dynamic libraries.  I
was wondering if anyone else has.  While playing with some pixrect stuff
(please don't ask why) I was unabled to get the linker to correctly
resolve the addresses of the canned line texture patterns in libpixrect.
For example,

	extern short pr_tex_dotted[];

will get resolved to some address in low user space (like 02A00), whereas
the actual address is at a very high address (according to dbx).  The
interesting thing is that dbx "whatis" will report pr_tex_dotted as a
procedure.  Thus, the symbolic information provides a correct link, but at
incorrect type.  The code provides a correct type, but incorrect address.

This happens with both cc and gcc, so I am assuming that it is the linker.
This problem does not occur under 3.5, so I suspect dynamic libraries.  I
haven't tried a static link yet, but I am assuming that the dynamic link
should work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff