UPS For SUN Server

Brent Chapman capmkt!brent at uunet.uu.net
Thu Jun 8 08:00:13 AEST 1989

Ken Juneau writes in v8n5:
# I am looking for a UPS for a SUN 3/280.  Does anybody have any
# recommendations?

I've had a "F5KVA" unit from Best Power Technology for about two years,
and couldn't be happier with it; I'd recommend it to anyone asking about
UPS.  The thing is small, cool, reliable, smart, and cheap.  I have a 5
KVA unit that powers a loaded 3/280, a pair of diskful 3/60s, three
diskful 3/50s, three financial data feed controllers, our phone system,
and various other incidental bits of equipment; the unit operates at about
75% capacity with all this junk on it, and can carry that load for about
20 minutes.  Physically, it's the size of a two-drawer file cabinet.  It
has an RS232 interface on it that allows me to completely monitor and
control it from my Suns (I have a little program that runs on the 3/280
that checks the UPS every 60 seconds, and starts an automated UNIX
shutdown sequence if the UPS kicks in and stays on for more than some
preset amount of time, or if the UPS's estimate of runtime remaining at
current load drops below some preset level).  We're in a building with
somewhat flaky power, and I've had _many_ opportunities to test this thing
over the last couple of years; it always works like a charm.  The nicest
thing about it is that the price is right; the 5 KVA unit that I have
lists at about $7000.  They make units ranging in size and capacity from,
I believe, 250 VA up to 10 or 15 KVA.  The technical support from Best, on
the occasions that I've needed it, is excellent; they're very responsive,
and they know what they're doing.

I have no relationship to Best other than as a _very_ satisfied customer.
They can be reached at:

    Best Power Technology, Inc.
    PO Box 280
    Necedah, WI  54646

    Phone 800/356-5794 or 608/565-7200
    Telex 701934

Brent

Brent Chapman					Capital Market Technology, Inc.
Computer Operations Manager			1995 University Ave., Suite 390
brent at capmkt.com				Berkeley, CA  94704
{cogsci,lll-tis,uunet}!capmkt!brent		Phone:  415/540-6400