Postscript printing

Scott Smith scott at apollo.drexel.edu
Thu Jun 15 09:59:02 AEST 1989

We have a sun 3/160 acting as a disk server for two other diskless clients
(a 3/75 and a 3/110).  We are running SunOS 4.0.1 and have a Texas
Instruments OmniLaser 2115 laser printer.  Our problem is this:

For standard text output the printer works fine.  However, when graphics
output or output from TeX is printed (both using Postscript) we run into
intermittent problems.  These problems occur in several forms.

	1) Last page of output is lost.
	2) Entire job is lost.  This happens most frequently when a print
	   job of any kind immediately follows a Postscript job.
	3) Postscript output is overlayed on other output.  This frequently
	   occurs when a graph is queued at the same time as text - the
	   graphic output is superimposed on the text output.
	4) Printer hangs.  This occurs usually when TeX output is printed,
	   although it occasionally happens with other Postscript output
	   as well.  Usually the entire job is lost and the printer goes
	   into an infinite waiting-processing cycle.  Reset is sometimes
	   ineffective, and we then have to shut the printer off and restart
	    it.

We have tried to get around these problems in several ways, none of which
have been completely effective.  The problems are rarer when there is a
delay between jobs, but have been known to occur under any circumstances.
Our Postcript driver and print filters are all home grown, and may be the
source of the problems.  Does anybody know of a reliable and inexpensive
printer driver for handling Postcript printout on the OmniLaser?  Also, is
there a better way to print out TeX output (other than converting to
Postscript [we use dvi2ps, which came with TeX, for the translation]?  It
seems that there SHOULD be a way to print a dvi file directly.  I say this
particularly since there is a -d option to lpr that is supposed to be used
to print dvi files, but it requires a local dvi print filter to operate.
Direct responses should be sent to

	scott at apollo.drexel.edu

					-Scott C. Smith