dump/restore problem

Geoff Hill gihill at thunder.UUCP
Fri Jun 16 07:36:19 AEST 1989

Perhaps someone can help us with a problem we have with UNIX 'dump' tapes.
We have a SUN-3 running SUN O.S. v3.4 and an old VAX 11/750 running
bsd4.2.  Both have seperate tape-drives to do daily, weekly, etc. backups
using 'dump'. However, the 11/750 will be leaving shortly and we need to
be able to restore files from old archive 'dump' tapes that were created
on the 11/750.  It doesn't work.  11/750 tapes created with 'dump' cannot
be read by the SUN 'restore' utility.  It just aborts with the error:

                Tape is not a dump tape.

SUN software support say that what we are trying is unsupported and we
will have to pay them extra for a fix !!.  I assume (hope?) that someone
else has already crossed this bridge successfully. Do they have a modified
version of SUN's 'restore' that would work.  Any other advice or
work-arounds are appreciated.

					Geoff Hill
--
Geoff Hill				UUCP: watmath!thunder!gihill
Lakehead University		   Internet: occhill at busoff.lakeheadu.ca  (VMS)