need auto-logout program and info about tcsh

Jim McCoy mccoy at accuvax.nwu.edu
Wed Jun 7 03:01:20 AEST 1989

In article <3436 at kalliope.rice.edu> umb!umb!gplan at husc6.harvard.edu (George A. Planansky) writes:

>We would like to have an auto-logout feature, whereby idle connections
>are logged off, for our OS4 and our 4.2 systems.  How is this done?

An auto-logout feature is included in both the bash and tcsh shells.  One
can "setenv auto-logout 60" in the tcsh and you will be logged out after
60 minutes of idle time.

>We would also like some decent command line editing ... right now it's
>the top "trivial but essential" item on our users' wish list (but wait
>until they see the newly implemented connect time charges ...).

I don't know what you consider "decent" commend line editing, but both
bash and tcsh are loaded with functionality in editing command lines and
history lists.

>Is the "tcsh" a solution, will it work with OS 4 and with 4.2, and, if
>so, how do I "get" it?

Both tcsh and bash are solutions (bash if users want a normal bourne shell
function, and tcsh for the sane people who use csh :-).  I swear by tcsh
and would highly reccommend it.  It is the FIRST thing i port to any new
machine that i can get my hands on.  One try and you will NEVER go back to
the csh.

tcsh is availible on tut.cis.ohio-state.edu the last time i checked
(try pub/tcsh) with a shar file for various machines (i.e. sun3-os4, etc).

>George Planansky, Atmosphere Environment Research, Cambridge Mass.
>617 641-3128
>email (via csnet):  gplan at ra.umb.edu

				jim

mccoy at acns.nwu.edu                  |  "...far too many notes for my taste"
#include <disclaimer.h>             |        -Phantom of the Opera