Lightning damage to serial devices: surge protectors available

Bruce Samuelson utacfd!utafll!bruce at central.sun.com
Fri Jun 9 23:46:19 AEST 1989

Leonard Evens in Sunspots 8.15 asks how to protect against this:

> We have twice within the last year sustained lightning damage to terminals
> and other devices connected through twisted pair wiring...

A fair number of catalogs contain surge suppressors that plug into RJ-11 phone
jacks and others that plug into 25-pin serial ports.  We use these to protect
our modems, workstations, and terminals.  Our area gets a lot of lightning,
and we have sustained no damage, but I have no way of knowing whether this is
because of these suppressors.  We bought them from Priority One Electronics,
21622 Plummer St., Chatsworth, CA 91311, 800-423-5922 and from Lyben Computer
Systems, 1050 E. Maple Rd. Troy, MI 48083, 313-589-3440.  Prices are in the
$15-$50 range.