PHIGS books

Barry A. Warsaw warsaw at cme.nbs.gov
Tue Jun 20 05:24:38 AEST 1989

I have just started using SunPHIGS, Sun's version of PHIGS, but the
documentation is very poor.  They only include a "Beginner's Guide" which
has a brief overview of the PHIGS system, and a set of manual pages which
is great if you know what function you want to use but are unsure of the
syntax.

What they *don't* include is a guide for taking a novice through the
general concepts of how to get things done with PHIGS.  For example, I
want an explanation of how to use name sets to get invisibility of
elements.  I had to wade through the manpages for a week to get some vague
idea of how to do this.

Are there any good books on PHIGS out there?  I've called one local
computer book store, but they've never heard of PHIGS.  I'd appreciate any
titles, authors and publishers of books that you think are good.  Please
email to me directly and I will post a summary.  Thanks.

-Barry

P.S. Is there a PHIGS mailing list or newsgroup?  I couldn't find the
newsgroup and the address I had for the mailing list was quite old and
didn't seem to work.

NAME: Barry A. Warsaw                USMAIL: National Institute of Standards
TELE: (301) 975-3460                         and Technology (formerly NBS)
UUCP: {...}!uunet!cme-durer!warsaw           Rm. B-124, Bldg. 220
ARPA: warsaw at cme.nist.gov                    Gaithersburg, MD 20899