Multiple swap partitions under 4.0.1

anonymous at rice.edu anonymous at rice.edu
Thu Jun 8 02:38:47 AEST 1989

I have a 3/160 running 4.0.1 and am using the following config line:

config		vmunix		swap on xy0b swap on xy1b

In addition, I have the following entries in my /etc/fstab:

/dev/xy0b		n/a		swap	n/a		0	0
/dev/xy1b		n/a		swap	n/a		0	0

What happens with this setup is:

	When the system boots, it starts by swapping on /dev/xy1b.  Then
	in /etc/rc, a line which reads:

	swapon -a   >/dev/console 2>&1

	is executed and I get the following message:

	Adding /dev/xy0b as a swap device

	The system is then swapping on xy0b and xy1b.

This works under both 4.0 and 4.0.1.  I have yet to not encounter a syntax
error with the syntax listed by wnl.  To the best of my knowledge and
RTFM'ing, this should be a syntax error.  The manual "Installing the
SunOS" <which someone has currently removed from my office, so I can't be
more specific> contains the instructions which I used to come to this
point in configuring my system.