Serial ports and OS upgrades

Craig Ruff cruff at ncar.ucar.edu
Thu Jun 1 00:56:59 AEST 1989

We just upgraded one of our last systems to OS 4.0.1.  Needless to say,
this system behaved differently than all the other systems we've upgraded.
All of our systems seemed to show different problems after upgrading.  The
upgrade itself went smoothly, but the machine (a Sun-4) started
misbehaving with the serial ports and crashed a couple of times.

Config:
	Sun-4/280
	Sun OS 4.0.1
	2 ALM-1 boards

Behavior:
	Logged on via an ALM-1 port.
	Running kermit and transfering a file initially worked, then
	timed out.  After that point, each character entered would not
	echo nor take effect until the next character was entered.  This
	occured even after leaving kermit until logout.

The fix:
	YAPT 5.4 (Yet Another Patch Tape).  This tape evidently contains
	fixes for serial ports of later date than the 4.0.1 patch tape.

This tape fixed the serial problems and one set of crashes, but we're
still left with another crash problem.  Grr.
Craig Ruff      	NCAR			cruff at ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1211  	P.O. Box 3000
			Boulder, CO  80307