Yellow Pages and Name Server interaction (ypserv/ypbin

Jon A. Tankersley apctrc!zjat02 at uunet.uu.net
Sat Jun 24 16:18:04 AEST 1989

You didn't mention the OS release.  ypserv -i is for 3.5 and 386i
machines.  You use makedbm -b in the /var/yp/Makefile for hosts to get yp
to query the nameserver.

Works fairly well.  Some hosts ask for bogus host names (-.domain.edu) and
the 4.0 documentation refers to the 4.1 named stuff, but it kinda works.

(watch out for resolution by named down to the last to domain parts.
bogus.domain.edu can resolve sucessfully for yp because domain.edu is
valid and can be 'matched'.

Also, telnet/rlogin/ftp to bogus.domain.edu will hang forever (well, I
finally killed it after 30 minutes on rlogin and telnet :-)).  I've
bitched about this one, but it may be related to the above resolution.
nslookup and yp w/o named both come back quickly with an error of no such
host.  Dunno.

I've heard that some major changes are coming for named/yp before 4.1.
Some of these should be fixed in that release/patch.
-tank-
#include <std/disclaimer.h>		/* nobody knows the trouble I .... */
tank at apctrc.trc.amoco.com    ..!uunet!apctrc!tank