A long story about 3rd party equipment and Suns

grunwald at flute.cs.uiuc.edu grunwald at flute.cs.uiuc.edu
Sat Jun 17 14:27:09 AEST 1989

yeah gods, a blast from the past -- several years ago, we bought a Cadlinc
(another marketer of proto-Sun-1 boxes) system sans disk & installed a CDC
drive that sounded like Ohare Intl.

Same symptoms; ctrl visible, everything looking good, can poke into ctrl
memory & see if say `no disks''. I call up the dude at Cadlinc, who sez,
``ok, lets walk through this. Take your borrowed Voltmeter & measure the
-12V supply located beside the fan....what do you mean, there's nothing
there.''

In order to save money, unless you bought a system with disk, they didn't
install a -12V supply.

Ain't like wonderful.
--
Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Illinois 		  (grunwald at flute.cs.uiuc.edu)