Sun/OS 4.0 version of Dorofile optical disk filesystem

Dave Kohr KOHR at ll.ll.mit.edu
Sun Jun 18 05:09:36 AEST 1989

My research group has purchased some Optimem optical WORM disks and an
optical disk filesystem package called Dorofile which is marketed in the
U.S. by a company from Minnesota called Zetaco.  (The original Dorofile
system was written by a company in France called Dorotech.) Dorofile
currently exists in a version which can run under Sun/OS 3.5.  The version
for Sun/OS 4.0 is still "under development", according to Zetaco.

However, they've had at least 8 months in which to come out with a new
version of Dorofile (probably longer than that, if they got developers'
copies of beta-releases of Sun/OS 4.0).  This seems like an awfully long
time to me.  Does anybody know if either of these companies (Zetaco or
Dorotech) are in some kind of trouble (like teetering on the edge of
bankruptcy or something), or are just being very slow?  (It's entirely
possible that Sun released 4.0 in Europe several months later than in the
U.S., so that Dorotech has had much less time to work on software for 4.0
than have U.S. companies.)  Has anybody else had any negative experiences
with either company?

Please e-mail responses to me at either KOHR at LL.LL.MIT.EDU or
DRK at ATHENA.MIT.EDU; I'll summarize the responses to the Net if there are
enough of them.

Thanks,

                     Dave Kohr
                     M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratory, Group 45
              email: KOHR at LL.LL.MIT.EDU (preferred) or
                     drk at athena.mit.edu
              phone: (617)527-3908 (home), (617)981-0775 (work)