third party serial ports line mux needed

Margaret Mikulska mem%inls1 at ucsd.edu
Sat Jun 17 06:57:59 AEST 1989

Does anyone know of a vendor selling serial line multiplexers (ALM or
similar) for SPARCstation/330 ? The _crucial_ thing is that it fit a 6U
slot, as opposed to Sun's ALM-2 that takes up a 9U slot. The less crucial
thing is the number of ports: the more the better, but I can live with
less than 16.

BTW: Does anybody from Sun care to explain why SPARC/330's have only three
9U slots, out of which one is taken by the CPU, another one is not really
usable, as the frame buffer - if you have a monitor - takes up its space
(that's what a Sun sales rep told me - is this true ?), so there is only
ONE 9U expansion slot left, and most Sun boards are 9U ?  and this is
advertised as "innovative packaging for efficient expansion" ???

Thanks in advance for any leads and info.

Margaret Mikulska

Institute for Nonlinear Science
University of California, San Diego
Mail Code Q-075