sunos 4.0.1 and motd

Brent Chapman capmkt!brent at uunet.uu.net
Thu Jun 8 07:27:34 AEST 1989

James B. Davis (james at druco.att.com) writes in v8n4:
# In article <8905182140.AA16683 at atlantic.nprdc.navy.mil>, stanonik at nprdc.navy.mi\l (Ron Stanonik) writes:
# > Someone just pointed out that the motd on our sun4's and sun3's all say
# > "SunOS Release 4.0" rather than 4.0.1.  Odd, installing the 4.0.1 upgrade
# > (from 4.0) didn't upgrade the string in the kernel from which the motd is
# > constructed?  Or have we done something wrong?
#
# What I did to change this is instruct our SA's to edit the
# /usr/share/sys/conf.common/RELEASE file to have 4.0.1 instead of 4.0 and
# rebuild the kernel (after you have loaded the 4.0.1 upgrade tape of
# course).

I did this same thing once upon a time, when upgrading to 3.x.y, and
regretted it later.  When I tried to do a later upgrade to 3.<x+1>, the
notoriously flaky upgrade scripts supplied by Sun wouldn't work because
they couldn't figure out what release of the OS I was already using (they
didn't recognize 3.x.y as a valid release).

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman					Capital Market Technology, Inc.
Computer Operations Manager			1995 University Ave., Suite 390