Exabyte causes "bus error during dma" on 3/280

Alan J. Broder ajb at cornea.mitre.org
Thu Jun 8 03:31:11 AEST 1989

My previous posting to sun-spots indicated the history of the problems
that I had running an Exabyte drive on a 3/180. In summary, I received a
patch to the SCSI driver from Sun which cured the hang during read
problem.

I then tried applying the same patch to our 3/280 which was also running
4.0.1 and also experiencing the same hanging problem with its Exabyte.
Unfortunately, this patch does not work on the 3/280. When I try to write
to the Exabyte using the patched driver I get the message "bus error
during dma" on the console. Others have reported this problem with the
patch on 3/280's (in previous sun-spots) but have never reported the
solution.  I called Sun phone support, they looked into the problem, and
are basically washing their hands of this problem, saying we don't support
the Exabyte, speak to Exabyte.

So, my question is this, am I stuck with a non-functioning exabyte on my
3/280 ? Or does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Alan Broder
ajb at cornea.mitre.org