Lightning damage

Len Evens len at rufus.math.nwu.edu
Thu Jun 1 01:34:32 AEST 1989

We have twice within the last year sustained lightning damage to terminals
and other devices connected through twisted pair wiring (internal to our
building) to ALM boards on our Suns.  Also, the ALM boards themselves
seemed to have sustained some damage.   The wiring has been set up and is
maintained by our local university telephone company.  We don't believe
there was any damage attributable to surges coming through the power
lines.  Does anyone have any similar experiences, and can anyone suggest
countermeasures?  We have about 30 such connections so we want to keep the
cost down.

Leonard Evens                      len at math.nwu.edu
Department of Mathematics
Northwestern University