How do you get a remote Sun to reboot itself

Roger Pease cs.utexas.edu!sun.com!pease at immigrant
Thu Jun 15 14:08:41 AEST 1989

Not so tough.  The technique I've seem used involves a recursive script
installed on the machine you with to halt.  This script checks to see if
it was envoked with a particular arbitrary option ( -xyzzy, maybe).  If it
was not invoked with the "magic option", it would re-envoke itself
(generating a sub-shell) in the background and with the "magic option".

The second invocation (in the backgound) having seen the "magic option"
set, would sleep for 15 seconds or so, then invoke /etc/reboot.  Got that?
Maybe it's not so simple after all...  But it really does work.

This idea comes from a Software Technical Bulletin published by Sun.  If
you can't figure it out from the above (I wouldn't blame you.), I'll dig
the real thing up.

Hope this helps...

	Roger Pease