575Mb fuji eagle and 982Mb hitachi on one XY451?

Phil Ritzenthaler phil at bashful.cgrg.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jun 8 00:26:10 AEST 1989

> Date:    Fri, 27 May 88 09:32:53 EDT
> From:    George Young <young at ll-vlsi.arpa>
> Subject: 575Mb fuji eagle and 982Mb hitachi on one XY451?
>
> We are about to order one of the newly sun-supported hitachi 982Mb(?) SMD
> disk drives.  Does anyone have experience with running one of these next
> to a fujitsu super-eagle (575Mb) drive on the same xy451 controller?  Or a
> super-eagle with any other type drive, for that matter.  This will be in
> our sun-3/180 server, running SunOS 3.5.  Sun "doesn't recommend" mixing
> the hitachi with others, but as far as I can discern, its only so they can
> sell us a new controller that we don't need.

When we were hooking up the Fujitsu 2372k's to our new Xylogics 753 and
ran dead into the Xylogics firmware problem ( couldn't put the 753 in with
the 451), we jerry-rigged ome of the 2372k's onto the 451.

This placed a Hitachi 815-10 and a Fujitsu 2372k on the same Xylogics 451
controller in a 4/280.  Everything worked fine (great!), until I tried to
move the Fujitsu back to the 753.  The defect list got trashed.  Boy, did
I learn the hard way to make backups of the defect list!!!

Conclusion:

I saw no problems whatsoever while the Hitachi and the Fujitsu were both
located on the 451 controller.

Phil Ritzenthaler   The Advanced Computing Center for the Arts & Design (ACCAD)
Systems Manager     The Ohio State University
                    UUCP: ...!{pyramid,killer}!grumpy.cgrg.ohio-state.edu!phil
                    ARPA: phil at grumpy.cgrg.ohio-state.edu