nfsd going crazy

Charles Hedrick hedrick at geneva.rutgers.edu
Sat Jun 3 10:57:07 AEST 1989

Problem: nfsd running a lot, high load

There may be bugs that could cause this.  Others may comment on that.
Might I'd start by looking for something more mundane.  Now and then one
of our clients gets a program that goes into a loop that does disk
accesses.  This will of course bombard its server with requests.

Try
  etherfind -p -proto udp

on the server. This will look at all UDP packets being sent to your host.
I bet you'll see a continuous stream from one particular machine.  Now go
there and do a "ps aux" and see if you don't find something peculiar.