PHIGS

Kevin Sedota edsr!kjs at uunet.uu.net
Wed Nov 22 04:36:02 AEST 1989

I have a problem with a program which appears to lock. By 'lock' I mean
that after a period of time it will no longer accept input and must be
killed with:  kill -KILL <PID>.

This is a 3d realtime animated SunPHIGS program running under Sunview.
The program has a panel which controls the scene in the PHIGS windows (a
canvas).  The program accepts input/events from several sources:

1. buttons and text items in the panel
2. picking with the mouse in the PHIGS canvas
3. a UDP socket connection which is checked and read every 1.5 seconds via
a notify_set_itimer_func. If the program is animating the scene, which is
not always the case, the events created by this notify_set_itimer_func
cause the scene to be animated.

The system is a Sun 4/260 with a GP2/CG5 board set.  The SunPHIGS release
is 1.1.  System is SunOS 4.0.3.

The locking problem appears even it no animation is being generated.
After some period of time, if the user places the mouse in the window he
can not wake up the program, the boarder does not change colors, mouse
events are not accepted etc.

If if try to attach dbx to the process the attach fails.

If I do ps ax, the program is in Idle state. This seems strange to me
since the progam is generating events every 1.5 seconds.

(FYI: when I was running PHIGS 1.0 and the locking occured, the ps ax
command indicated that the program was in a Disk Wait (D) and I had to rsh
into the machine running the phigs program and kill suntools. executing
kill -KILL <PID> did nothing.)

The period of time it takes for the program to reach ths state is
variable. It can take from 2 minutes to 2 days but it will happen.

If anyone has seen this problem or has any ideas on what causes it I would
appreciate hearing from you. Please respond directly to

kjs at edsr

thanks in advance.