SMD on the SPARCstation

Russ Poffenberger poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
Thu Nov 2 08:20:08 AEST 1989

In article <2448 at brazos.Rice.edu> weber at cg-atla.samsung.com (Jeff Weber) writes:

>In article <2274 at brazos.Rice.edu> lll-lcc!rzh at uunet.uu.net (Roger Hanscom) writes:
>>
>>Here's an interesting comment I picked up the other day.  A third party
>>peripherals vendor claimed to have put one of the new 1Gbyte SMD drives
>>   STUFF DELETED...
>
>Has anyone figured out how to BOOT the SMD-4/753/7053 from the boot ROM?
>
>I've got it to work via the boot on the first install tape but I haven't
>got it to work directly from the ROM monitor.

I have heard (but not verified, I don't have one) that the boot rom on the
330 doesn't boot an SMD disk. It does work on a 370 though (I have one of
those). No big problem though, just boot off scsi and let vmunix finish
booting off the SMD. Or you could just boot entirely off the scsi and use
the SMD for data or additional swap (swapon). This doesn't require rom
support.  There are other considerations to putting an XY753 in a 330. I
mentioned them on this newsgroup recently. If anyone missed it, e-mail me
and I will give you the latest scoop. Plus I have info on how to add
memory without buying sun's expensive memory boards.

Russ Poffenberger
DOMAIN: poffen at sj.ate.slb.com        UUCP: {uunet,decwrl,amdahl}!sjsca4!poffen