Replacement for passwd command

Head UNIX Hacquer ut-emx!clyde at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 29 06:21:28 AEST 1989

Announcing the release of npasswd, a pretty much plug-compatable
replacement for the standard issue passwd(1) command.

Npasswd features configurable password checking to prevent users from
choosing easily guessed passwords.

Npasswd works with a standard password file and with the Sun Yellow Pages
system, also replacing the functionality of yppasswd(1).

This program is available via anonymous FTP from the host 'emx.utexas.edu'
(IP number 128.83.1.33) in the directory pub/npasswd.  Both a compressed
tar archive and shar files are available.  Mail distribution is available
for sites not having Internet access.

This program is in use here on the Computation Center's UNIX systems at
the University of Texas at Austin.  It runs under (at our site) UMAX 4.2,
release 3.2; SunOS 3.4 and 4.0.1, 4.3BSD.  Support is included for System
V release 3.2, which is believed to work (none of my Sys V beta sites
complained).

This software is also being sent to the comp.sources.unix moderator.

	-Clyde Hoover
	Computation Center
	The University of Texas at Austin
	Austin, Texas