debugger hangs

Eric Hanchrow yamada-sun!eric at nosun.west.sun.com
Tue Nov 28 10:28:44 AEST 1989

Here's a bizarre problem I noticed.

I've been developing and testing a program on our Sun-4, running SunOS
4.0.3.  As I've been going along, I've been running it under a debugger
now and again, as problems show up.  But the last time I made a fix to the
code, recompiled, and started up the debugger, the debugger hung.  "What
debugger were you using?" you ask.  I was using the Gnu debugger, release
3.2.  I was compiling with the Gnu compiler, gcc version 1.35.  Here's a
transcript:

Current directory is /home/eric/work/drivers/fx100/new/sun4/
GDB 3.2, Copyright (C) 1988 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY for GDB; type "info warranty" for details.
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "info copying" to see the conditions.
Reading symbol data from /home/eric/work/drivers/fx100/new/sun4/fx100...done.
Type "help" for a list of commands.
(gdb) br main
Reading in symbols for awk.c...done.
Reading in symbols for bitmap.c...done.
Reading in symbols for main.c...done.
Breakpoint 1 at 0x6b84: file main.c, line 46.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/eric/work/drivers/fx100/new/sun4/fx100

And that's the last I hear from it.  (I waited about ten minutes.)  I
don't think it was spending its time reading in a core file, because there
wasn't a core file in that directory.  And not only did the debugger
process seem to hang, but I couldn't kill it with control-C.  Or
control-Z, either.  And for that matter, `kill -9' didn't do it either.
(As I write this, I have about a dozen of these never-say-die debug
processes hanging around.  They don't seem to use up any CPU cycles, and I
don't want to reboot the machine unless I have to.)

Now the interesting parts -- the problem does not occur on our RoadRunner
(SunOS 4.0.1), or our Sun-3 (SunOS 3.5).  And yet it *does* occur with
dbx.  I've tried all the combinations of
platform/compiler/debugger/binding-option which make sense (e.g., gdb does
not run on the 386i); in all cases, the attempts on the Sun-4 hung, and
the attempts on the other platforms worked just fine.  Does this sound
familiar to anybody??