Differing clock speeds on Sparcs?

Joe Michel-Angelo tekbspa!tss!joe at uunet.uu.net
Mon Nov 20 08:37:09 AEST 1989

In article <2955 at brazos.Rice.edu>, by jeremy at kheops.cmi.no (Jeremy Cook):
> all run at the same speed. Does anyone have a short program which we could
> run which would determine which type of CPU we have?

The hostid of each machine is supposed to indicate the CPU/machine type.
Not sure if sun is still living up to that convention, but in the older
days, they were.

If I remember correctly, the 1st byte is the cpu type, the second is the
machine type. The appended shell script may be useful. Note that this
script doesn't recognize a sparc-type cpu yet (since the script was
written 2 yrs ago....), but i think the cpu type is 5 for sparc. just
sample the output of `hostid` and you'll get the idea...

someplace along the line, i belive the kernel config file also makes note
of the machine type (# connection for machine type X), so, kernel config
files are a source or further data for the attached script.

Ed's Note: Script placed in archives.

FTP:	Hostname : titan.rice.edu (128.42.30.1)
	Directory: sun-source
	Filename : machtype.script

Archive Server Address: archive-server at rice.edu
Archive Server Command: send sun-source machtype.script