need interpretation of panic message?

David Collier-Brown davecb at nexus.yorku.ca
Tue Nov 14 00:34:13 AEST 1989

I see a large number of postings in various vendor-specific groups and
unix-wizards asking substantially the same question:

	What is a panic <keyword>?
	What does this traceback point at?

What I don't see is anyone posting or publishing a general answer, either
as a table of panics or as a technique using the kernel name- space maps.

I look panics up in the Lyons book, circa v6!.  (I generally ignore
mysterious tracebacks as my preferred/only technique is to use adb on the
core file, and I get tracebacks **only** when I'm not saving core
files...).

Would Sun or a consortium of wizards consider publishing a collection of
folklore about panics?  Or shall we just start archiving the answers as
they go by (:-)).

David Collier-Brown,  | davecb at yunexus, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave
Willowdale, Ontario,  | Joyce C-B:
CANADA. 416-223-8968  |    He's so smart he's dumb.