how to write code for a new virtual file system type

David A. Yost esquire!yost at cmcl2.nyu.edu
Sat Nov 18 06:13:29 AEST 1989

I am investigating implementing Watchdogs [Bershad 88] via a new virtual
file system type under Sun OS.  Unfortunately, when I looked through the
Sun documentation for information on implementing a new virtual file
system type, I found only one paragraph.

Has anyone ever done this?  Where's the documentation?

I'd love to see code for a sample VFS that hooks up to all the entry
points and simply passes the calls through to another VFS node.

Watchdogs are useful for many things, but we want to use them to implement
a R/W optical disk jukebox that looks to the system as if all the disks
are mounted at once.

 --dave yost