portmap crashing under SunOS 4.0.3

David Hayward david at erm.erm.oz
Wed Nov 15 16:30:47 AEST 1989

We have had problems with the portmap daemon disappearing (presumably
crashing) intermittently under SunOs 4.0.3 on a Sun4 and a Sparcstation.

We are developing software which uses the portmapper, but I don't think we
are doing anything strange enough to crash it, and furthermore, I would
have thought that it shouldn't be possible to crash it.  The software
seems to work fine under 4.0.1.

I haven't yet been able to find a reproducable sequence of events which
cause the crash.

Is this a known problem?  Is there a fix?  I would appreciate any help.

- David Hayward

Earth Resource Mapping, 130 Hay St, Subiaco, Western Australia 6008
Phone: +61 9 388 2900   Fax: +61 9 388 2901
ACSnet: david at erm.oz