Filesystems on floppies

Gareth Barker gbarker%mph.sm.ucl.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Wed Nov 15 01:09:16 AEST 1989

|question: I have a SparcStation 1 with a floppy drive. I want to use
|floppies as small file systems. In the STB of last July there were some
|hints on how to do this:
|
|     mkfs /dev/rfd0c 2844 18 2
|
|and now you should be able to mount it. I don't what I did wrong but this
|doesn't work for me. When I try to mount it on, say, /diskette:
|
|     mount /dev/fd0c /diskette
|
|I get the error message:
|
|     mount: /dev/fd0c on /diskette: No such device or address

We had the same problem, and Sun gave us the following mkfs line:

mkfs /dev/rfd0c 2880 18 2 4096 512 8 5 6

(change 2880 to 1440 for low density).  Notice that you MUST do this
IMMEDIATELY after fdformat - for some reason if you once make a file
system with the wrong parameters you have to re-format before trying
again.  If you don't you get the 'No such device or address' message even
if the mkfs parameters are right.

Gareth J. Barker,
Institute of Neurology, Queen Square,
London, UK.