Description of SPARC soundfile format?

Rich Gopstein soleil!gopstein at rutgers.edu
Wed Nov 15 08:11:47 AEST 1989

In article <2967 at brazos.Rice.edu>, sandell at ferret.ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) writes:
> Does anybody know the file format for soundfiles on the SPARC?  I checked
> all three of the following, and none of them had this information:

A quick look through /usr/demo/sound/sound.c and the related .h files will
tell you that the format the files are in is called uLAW format.  (that's
actually Mu-LAW format).  It appears that the chip can handle aLAW and
straight binary formats also, but I'm not sure how.

The sampling speed is 8k samples/second.  Each waveform sample is stored
in one byte in uLAW format.  uLAW format is a simple data compression
format designed to store audio waveforms in one-byte samples.

I will post my sampled-binary to uLAW conversion program soon, there has
been enough interest in it.

Rich Gopstein
..!rutgers!soleil!gopstein