Performance and Load Monitoring Tools

Brian Thorstad thorstad at kirk.asd.contel.com
Sat Nov 4 00:21:06 AEST 1989

Re: v8n178 article by Mike Anthis (bcstec!sleepy!kato!anthis at uunet.uu.net)

Mike:

I do not have any tools to help you, but am VERY INTERESTED in a summary
of your results.

One question: with a network such as yours, are you taking advantage of
the automounter and the 'auto.vol' map?  One example is that I have placed
most of the clusters (from /usr/cluster) on only two hosts.  The auto.vol
map contains an entry for 'appl' which appropriately indicates both
servers.  The same for 'devel'.  Then I removed most clusters from the
clients, and replaced the appropriate directory (eg. man_pages) with a
link to '/vol/appl/man_pages'. ... Works Great!

The nice thing about being able to list more than one host in the
automount map is that there is a small amount of load balancing...

Brian Thorstad
Contel Federal Systems
(thorstad at kirk.asd.contel.com)