System V shared memory on Sun

Mark Boolootian booloo at lll-crg.llnl.gov
Tue Nov 7 11:17:42 AEST 1989

I am just learning the ropes of shared memory and I've been running into a
bit of a problem.  I'm using (what I believe are) the system V shared
memory routines on a Sun running OS 3.4.  What I find happening is that
after I have created, attached, and then removed a shared memory segment,
when I run ipcs, I find a shared memory segment (ID 0 and KEY 0) which has
been removed but is still hanging around (according to ipcs, it will be
released when it is finally detached, however there is no process around
to detach it).  Even if I explicitly detach this segment in my code, I
still find this thing hanging around.  This code does run (to my liking)
on a Vax running Ultrix 3.0.  Anybody have any suggestions.  Sorry if I
haven't been very descriptive.