UPS Monitoring Software

Walter Rowe rowe at cme.nist.gov
Wed Nov 15 09:05:48 AEST 1989

>>>>> On 11 Nov 89 GMT, drew at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (R. D. Davis) said:

drew> When I was shopping for a UPS, I noted that some vendors have
drew> RS232 interfaces on their UPS units.  So, it would be relatively
drew> straightforward to have a routine on Sun that polls the UPS to
drew> note the UPS's status.

And there is such a thing!  The BEST UPS has a serial port interface to it
that I can/will hook to my Sun 4/280 file server via the ttya port.  I got
some software off the net (and I will be glad to send it to others) that
monitors the UPS.  It was written by Brent Chapman (brent at mica.berkeley.edu)
and is called `upswatch'.

When the UPS kicks in because of power problems, the SUN sees this and
sends out a warning.  When there is less then some threshhold of time's
worth of power left on the UPS's batteries, then the system is
automatically shutdown.  The whole thing runs as a daemon, so you just
start it up in rc.local.

Walter P. Rowe, System Admin
Robot Systems Division, NIST
rowe at cme.nist.gov