Help on Matrox Framegrabber on SUN-4

Ryutarou Ohbuchi ohbuchi at unc.cs.unc.edu
Tue Nov 7 08:44:07 AEST 1989

I need a help on making our investment work.  The story is as follows.  We
have purchased Matrox MVP-S frame grabber board, along with supporting
library.  We were going to use it with SUN4-4.  But, it turned out that
MVP-S library does NOT work on SUN-4; according to the release note on the
MVP-S/LIB (that is the name of the libary) from the Matrox "At this point,
the MVP-S/LIB software does not work on Sun-4 systems, due to hardware
differences in accessing 16bit quantities....".  It does work for SUN-3.

Is there anybody who have figured out how to make Matrox MVP-S work on
SUN-4?

We will be getting the source code of the library soon, and try to debug
the code for SUN-4.  If somebody have experience in porting VME device
driver from SUN-3 to SUN-4, please give me the hints on common causes for
this kind of migration problem.  (For example, one of my colleague had a
problem with A/D board's library. He found that the actual size of int
type and long size are 16 and 32 bit on SUN-3, while both int and long
type are 32bit on SUN-4, which is the cause for incompatibility.  I will
try this, at least.)

Theoretically we can get a refund and go for the other source (It's their
mistake !!)  BUT, it will take months to get an alternate board from
alternate source, considering all these beurocracies.  We are
time-pressed.  Please help us. (We will consider alternate source after a
week or so of try to debug.)

Ryutarou Ohbuchi	"Life's rock."   "Climb now, work later."
ohbuchi at cs.unc.edu	<on csnet>
Department of Computer Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill