summary for a refurbished sun3/50

Andy Wilcox andy at scuba.cis.ufl.edu
Tue Nov 7 17:39:55 AEST 1989

In replies to tomasz at sun4.fit.edu, most folks seemed to be of the opinion
that X11 is the kiss of death for a 4MB machine.  In my experience, X is
NOT necessarily slow on the 4Mb 3/50,60,80 's.  Here at the UF CIS
department, we put in all the purdue speedups, used the latest version of
gcc, and made all the libraries sharable.  With all this done, X11R3 runs
faster (not overwhemingly, but certainly noticable) than sunview on the
many mono 4MB diskless machines we have.  X is (much) slower on color, but
I understand this will not be the case in R4, due out very soon.

Andy Wilcox
andy at ufl.edu