Does "newfs -i 1024" do anyting on SunOS4.x?

Rich Salz rsalz at bbn.com
Wed Nov 22 06:52:29 AEST 1989

In <3115 at brazos.Rice.edu> rsalz at bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>I tried "newfs -i 1600 /dev/rxy1g" hoping to get about 30% more and I
>still only got 24.5K.

Some replies came in before I even saw my message.  Best reply was from
Don Speck <mangler at csvax.caltech.edu>:

    There's a limit of 2048 inodes per cylinder group.  You're probably
    using a disk with big cylinders.  Try "-c 8".  Also consider reducing
    the fragment size to 512 bytes if you're going to have so many tiny
    files.

Thanks also to maria a barnum <barnum at grumpy.crd.ge.com>.