TIFF or PICT -> RASTER

Jef Poskanzer jef at well.sf.ca.us
Wed Nov 8 11:08:03 AEST 1989

In the referenced message, neil at stl.stc.co.uk (Neil Todd) wrote:
}Here is the README from the Portable Bitmap Toolkit, there is a contact
}address at the end. Rather than have O(n^2) filters for n different formats
}a common intermediate format (PBM) and hence you end up with O(n) filters
}
}                       Portable Bitmap Toolkit
}                       Version of 28dec88
}                    Previous distribution 31oct88

a) This version is long obsolete.  The current version supports many more
formats, including color formats, has many bug fixes, runs much faster,
etc.

b) The place to get up-to-date information about this package, other
graphics interchange packages, plus lots of other interesting things, is
the Usenet newsgroup comp.graphics.  If you don't get Usenet, you should.
But at the very least, if the sun-spots moderator is going to pass along
graphics queries, then he should read comp.graphics so that he can answer
the easy ones (like this one) himself.

{Ed's Note: Moderator already reads too many newsgroups as it is,
remember, I'm working with 24 hour days here :) }

c) I already get far too much mail, most of it stupid, about this
software.  I do not appreciate people posting very partial info and then
saying "mail jef for more".  In an attempt to fend off some of the mail
that will surely result from Neil's message, I have appended an excerpt
from the "Frequently Asked Questions" message in comp.graphics.

      Jef Poskanzer  jef at well.sf.ca.us  {ucbvax, apple, hplabs}!well!jef
                "That's the biz, sweetheart." -- Remo Williams

- - - - - - - - - -

4) How to convert from one image format to another.  There are a number of
free toolkits for doing image format conversions, simple image
manipulations such as size scaling, plus the above-mentioned 24 -> 8,
color -> gray, gray -> b&w conversions.  Here are pointers to three of
them:

    Utah RLE Toolkit.  Available via FTP on cs.utah.edu.

    Fuzzy Pixmap Manipulation, by Michael Mauldin.  Version 0.9 was posted
    to comp.sources.unix, and is available from c.s.u archives.  The latest
    version is always available via FTP in nl.cs.cmu.edu:/usr/mlm/ftp.

    PBMPLUS, by Jef Poskanzer.  Version of 13sep89 was posted to
    alt.sources.  The latest version is always available via FTP as
    expo.lcs.mit.edu:contrib/pbmplus.tar.Z.

Don't forget to set binary mode when you FTP tar files.  For you MILNET
folks who still don't have name servers, the IP addresses are:

    cs.utah.edu		128.110.4.21
    NL.CS.CMU.EDU	128.2.222.56
    expo.lcs.mit.edu	18.30.0.212