Odd, 4/390 ...

John A. Johnston johnj at welchlab.welch.jhu.edu
Fri Nov 3 10:22:17 AEST 1989

I just recieved a 4/390 system. It has the 4 IPI disks 56M ram and 4
ALM-2's. (One is an MCP).

The odd thing is that the ALM-2's that are 16 channel muxes are mounted on
the right hand side of the rack. (viewing from the front of the cabinet).

To clarify ... if I am looking at the machine from the front, the serial
ports are on the right side of the rack, pointing 90 degrees to the right.

                   back, electric etc.
                +------------+
                |            |- ALM's are over here!?
                |            |-
                |            |-
                |            |-
                |            |-
                |            |-
                +------------+
                   front

So, now instead of placing the thing beside another cabinet, we gotta move
the whole row of cpu's so we are able to get to the serial ports on the
RIGHT side of the 4/390 cuz ya gotta take off the side panel to plug in a
serial connection!

All of the servers I have seen are configured so serial ports are aimed
out the back, or accessable from the back. Is this 4/390 feature brain
dead?

We will rule out an expansion cab since there is pretty much no more room.
We don't really need a terminal server since cables are laid & all pretty
much direct connect. I could take off the board of db-25 connectors &
stick em under the floor ...