Setting up a Sparcstation lab.

pbg at cs.brown.edu pbg at cs.brown.edu
Wed Nov 15 02:33:56 AEST 1989

I disagree about memory requirements.  We have 150 sparcstations all at
12mb, and find it generally sufficient for our current software load.  The
environment I run in is SunOS 4.0.3, X/NeWS, gnuemacs, 4 xterm windows,
and a perfmon program.  I have no paging to disk in this environment.  Our
SPE/Lisp users certainly can and do use 16mb, but given that memory prices
are dropping again (at least from 3rd parties, if not from sun) it makes
sense to buy only as much memory as you currently need, not as much as
some future operating system will need.

Also, at the last SUG conference Sun said that 4.1 should have performance
and memory improvements, but we've heard that before :-).

					      --Peter

Peter Baer Galvin       		      (401) 863-7623
Systems Manager, Brown Univ. Comp. Sci.       pbg at cs.brown.edu
Box 1910 (115 Waterman Street)                uunet!brunix!pbg
Providence, RI 02912			      pbg at browncs.bitnet