Memory address not aligned

Rick Crispin crispin at aramis.rutgers.edu
Tue Nov 7 03:44:22 AEST 1989

Recently, while trying to track down a mysterious problem with one of our
Sparc Stations (various crashes), I noticed that when doing the
"memory-test" in diag it sometimes comes back saying "Memory address not
aligned."

I thought this was a hardware failure until I found that it also occurs on
a number of other Sparc Stations that we have  (Mono & color).  Sun
service was not able to explain what causes the error, and replacing the
cpu, memory, video, scsi... doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
Has anyone else seen this "error" message ???   Does anyone know what it
means ???

As far as I can figure out, the Suns are working fine, although they will
give this message every once in a while when running the diag memory-test.
(eg.  On power up... L1-A, n, memory-test... it might pass once or twice
and then fail.  Or it will fail right away and not pass again until you do
a power reset.  Other times it happens very almost all the time.)

Thanks
-rick crispin