Multiple Process Debugging ??

Joe Smith jms at tardis.tymnet.com
Sat Nov 4 14:00:45 AEST 1989

In article <2422 at brazos.Rice.edu> geoff at idec.stc.co.uk (Geoff Whale) writes:
>When they get to debugging this they are likely to ask for a multi-process
>debugger. The kind of thing I'm thinking of is the ability to apply a dbx
>or dbxtool type operation to multiple processes, stopping all the
>processes when any one of them hits a breakpoint, ........ etc.
>Geoff Whale  <geoff at idec.stc.co.uk> or <...mcsun!ukc!idec!geoff>
>             ICL Network Systems, Six Hills House, Stevenage, UK.

Try to get a copy of STB 1989-05, the May 1989 Software Technical
Bulletin.  On pages 643-644 it discusses using dbx/dbxtool on a child
process.  It says 1) link with the -N flag, 2) put a sleep(20) call in the
child process path, 3) put a breakpoint in the parent process path after
the child process ID is available, 4) fire up a second copy of dbx and
attach to the child's pid while it is sleeping.

I don't know what to do to stop all processes when any one hits a breakpoint.

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS at F74.TYMNET.COM or jms at gemini.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-D21    | PDP-10 support: My car's license plate is "POPJ P,"
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | narrator.device: "I didn't say that, my Amiga did!"