4/330 time problems

Sam Horrocks sam at ics.uci.edu
Thu Nov 9 07:47:27 AEST 1989

Our Sparcserver 4/330's are having trouble keeping the correct time.
About once a week, they become about 45 minutes slow.  Sun gave me the
following patch to get rid of the problem.  I just installed the patch
today so I can't say that it has fixed the problem, but it has not caused
the system to do anything terrible, so if you have the same problem it
couldn't hurt to try this.

I don't claim to know what this patch does.  Use it at your own risk.  If
anyone can offer other solutions, please send them to me at
sam at ics.uci.edu

Here's Sun's patch:

Topic: Time of Day clock

Symptom:
Loss of the correct Time of Day over a period of time

Problem Description:
There is a bug in SunOS 4.0.3 which causes the Sun 4300 processor
board to be unable to synchronize the kernel's notion of the time
of day with the TOD chip.

Corrective Action:
To patch a running kernel: (will be fixed until next reboot)

        # adb -w -k /vmunix /dev/mem
        todget+0x1e0/X
<old value should be 80a3e006>
        todget+0x1e0/W 80a3e007