stty problem

Mark E. Hickey x4149 x4417 mhickey at sherwood.prime.com
Tue Nov 14 04:04:02 AEST 1989

>I can't seem to alter the options of /dev/ttya or /dev/ttyb on my SPARC
>station 1.  The command I use is
>
>	 stty parodd cs8 > /dev/ttya
>
> [results of this command failing deleted]
>
>		      What am I doing wrong?

Just out of curiousity, I looked into this problem on our SPARCstation 1
(run- ning 4.0.3). I found that the device must be turned on in the file
/etc/ttytab (ie: the fourth field of the entry for ttya must read "on");
by default it is turned off.  Also, if you turn the port on while the
system is running, you must tell init to re-read the file by sending it
SIGHUP (eg: kill -1 1 on most systems, do a "ps -eax | grep init" to be
sure of the process id).  If the port is turned off, getty apparently
resets the parameters no matter what you set them to using stty.  Also, if
the port is turned on, the output from stty will look like:

speed 9600 baud, 0 rows, 0 columns
-parenb -parodd cs8 -cstopb hupcl cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr -icrnl -iuclc
-ixon ixany -ixoff -imaxbel
-isig -icanon -xcase -echo -echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop
-echoctl -echoprt -echoke
-opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel
min 1, time 0
erase  kill   werase rprnt  flush  lnext  susp   intr   quit   stop   eof
^?     ^U     ^W     ^R     ^O     ^V     ^Z/^Y  ^C     ^\     ^S/^Q

Notice the extra fields "min 1, time 0" as well as the difference in the
default settings for ixon, ixany, etc. ( the defaults may be different on your
system, though).
			Good luck

Mark Hickey          Computervision Division
O/S Development      Prime Computer, Inc.
		     Bedford, MA     01730

UUCP    : {decvax|linus|sun}!cvbnet!mhickey
Internet: mhickey at cvbnet.prime.com