Connecting Sun 3/60 Thinwire ethernet -> Thick EThernet

Russ Poffenberger poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
Wed Nov 8 05:29:52 AEST 1989

In article <2640 at brazos.Rice.edu> wugate!wuarchive!sharkey!hfhrv!brian at uunet.uu.net (Brian A. Wolfe) writes:
>Anybody know of an easy way to connect a Sun 3/60 with a Thin ether board
>to a Thick ethernet? I know we can get a repeater that will connect a thin
>segment to a thick segment for under $1k, but I was hoping there might be
>a cheaper solution.

3/60's support both thin and thick ethernet on the CPU board. (So do
3/50's) The new models don't (I wish they did, but that's another flame).

To enable one port or another, there is a switch on the CPU board. On a
3/60, it is labeled EXT/UR and is a single position on the dipswitch that
also sets memory size.  On the 3/50, there is a dipswitch, and ALL
switches must be one way or another.

Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110