SparcStation Performance

friend of the Dept. of Techinal Publications david at sun.com
Tue Nov 21 17:48:09 AEST 1989

In article <3102 at brazos.Rice.edu> MORGENSTERN at TCUAVMS.BITNET writes:
>We've also noticed that the SparcStation becomes quite slow when someone
>is doing nothing more than editing a file on the console (slow to the
>point that vi acts like the load average is up around 10 or so when it is
>actually less than one).  This is not observed when several people are
>logged on via ethernet -- only when the console is being used.

This happens because the system is spending a lot of time in the boot PROM
console terminal emulator with interrupts disabled.

The solution is to start up sunview even if you just want to edit a file
-- it only takes a second if you use sunview -n.

David DiGiacomo, Sun Microsystems, Mt. View, CA  sun!david david at eng.sun.com