problem with dbx'ing core files on 3/80

Dieter Rothmeier dieter at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Nov 14 10:13:28 AEST 1989

I am having the following problem which looks like a bug to me.

I have a little 10 line program that causes a segementation fault and
dumps core. On my 3/80, when I try to look at the core file with dbx, I
get the following:

% dbx a.out
Reading symbolic information...
Read 57 symbols
warning: core file read error: data space address too high
error while reading shared library
warning: core file read error: data space address too high
warning: object file read error: text address not found
warning: core file read error: data space address too high
attempt to read stack failed - bad frame pointer
(dbx)

Note that I compiled and ran it on my 3/80.  I tried the same thing on one
of our 3/60's, and dbx had no trouble reading the core file. I tried a
number of combinations of compiling it on one machine, and running it on
another one, and came to the following conclusion: What matters is where
the core file was generated.  Dbx chokes on core files generated on a
3/80, but has no problem with core files from a 3/60.

Has anybody else come across this? Hpw to get around it?

Thanks,
Dieter Rothmeier