CG6 questions

Jim Hudgens hudgens at ray.met.fsu.edu
Fri Nov 17 06:02:34 AEST 1989

We recently recieved and installed a GX in a Sun3/60FC.  Really nice
addition to the system; it speeds up pixrect based programs immensely, and
makes the window system much speedier in general.

Several observations and question for any out there.  First, I noticed
that the system is really unusable when not in suntools, in that programs
like emacs garble the screen badly.  It appears that the "line-erase"
function doesn't work right --- might be something else, not sure how gnu
emacs does this; duplicate by tabbing (in C-mode) with cursor  in the
middle of the line such that the code moves to the right.  Same works fine
when in suntools.  Garbled line results using the console.  Anyone notice
this?  It is bad enough that I suspect there might be a problem with the
equipment.

Also, just finished reading an article in SunTech Journal on the GX
architecture, and went fishing through the documentation for the GX board.
No mention anywhere of how to program the board other than through the
available pixrect ops.  Anyone have example programs of antialiased lines
or the filled quadrilaterals?  Neither of these modes seem to be
accessible via pixrect libraries.  I know they exist because I've seen a
demo of them.  Anyone have pointers to documentation I might have missed?
I assume that these modes are accessible via the latest SunGKS and/or
SunPHIGS.  Does anyone know for sure.  Are there any other graphics
packages which exploit the full power of the cg6? (I know at least one
exists, but cannot recall the name of it)

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Jim Hudgens					-- Nothing to disclaim.
Dept of Meteorology, Florida State Univ.	hudgens at ray.met.fsu.edu