SunOS 4.0 and memory

Bill Murray drmurray at brocku.ca
Fri Nov 10 06:00:00 AEST 1989

Are university has 5 sun3/50 (diskless) and 2 sun3/60 (servers) all using
4 Megs of memory and running sunOS vers 3.5.

We would like to upgrade to vers 4.0 of the operating system, of which we
already have some tapes.  I have heard rumors that vers 4.0 needs more
than 4 Megs, Is this true?

If it is true, what is the cheapest and easiest way to upgrade these
units? (preferrably something that can be under a maintenance contract,
but not absolutely necessary)

Should we be scrapping these units and upgrading to something more
versitial?

One last question, we received a few tapes when version 4.0 of the O/S
first came out, what patch tapes have been issued since then or other
things should I be aware about with sunOS 4.0?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give in any of these areas.

Bill Murray
Brock University
St. Catharines, Ontario
Canada.