Long persistence monitors for Sun.

nobody at kodak.com nobody at kodak.com
Sun Dec 9 09:07:00 AEST 1990

In article <572 at brchh104.bnr.ca> bernards%ecn.nl at cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>Some Sun Users at ECN have complains about eyestrain problems with Sun
>monitors.  One of them asked If there exist something like a LCD type
>1152*900 screen for Sun.  (He has severe eyestrain complaints and had to
>go see a doctor)

I presently assume you have a monochrome screen.  In that case you could
try reversing the video colors (white fonts on a black background, rather
than black on white). Also you can change your default font size so you do
not sit so close to the screen.  Often part of the problem is room glare,
reduce room light.

If you have a color monitor there is much more you can do.  Try different
forground/background color combinations to see what feels good to your
eyes (hint: white will probably bother you the most).  Avoid combinations
of blue and red.  There is a lengthy reason to avoid blue/red
combinations, but basically your eye has a hard time focusing on red and
blue at the same time.  I have found an off yellow font on a black
background most pleasing to me.

On a science show I once saw someone claim that a
two_parts_red/two_parts_green /one_part_blue combination is most
comfortable to the eyes.  It may be "comfortable" but the color comes out
looking a sick orange.