C2unconv BUG

Alan Hargreaves alan at frey.nu.oz.au
Sat Dec 1 08:16:17 AEST 1990

I am about to send this off to SUN in Sydney, but I thought that others
would like to know about it. I intended to spend about 15 minutes
installing C2 on frey.nu.oz.au, it turned into 2-3 hours when I had to
change everything back and start again due to something else that I hadn't
done.

Problem

When running C2unconv to put passwords back into the password file, a sed
script is generated which is later executed. It is not checked whether or
not this script succeeds. If it doesn't, the system isleft in an uncertain
state.

The problem occurs on my system as I  have a password file with 1591
entries.  C2unconv attempts to make a single substitution script for sed.
The script generated is too big for sed, so it fails.  C2unconv then goes
on to do the rest of the unconversion as if nothing had gone wrong.

Perhaps the sed script should have split run on it, and multiple sed's run
to recreate the password file.

Alan Hargreaves (VK2MGL) alan at frey.nu.oz.au, University of Newcastle, UCS.