Putting a SPARCstation-2 CPU into your current Sun system.

Joe Smith jms at tardis.tymnet.com
Sun Dec 9 09:07:00 AEST 1990

In article <hart.659232475 at tasman> hart at tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Bill Hart) writes:

>I've currently got an old 3/160, and possibly have some money around to do
>something about it.  What about sticking something like a SPARCengine2?

At the Sun-Expo, Solflower Computer, Inc was showing a board that does
just that.  They have two type of S-Bus to VME adaptors.  One is a run of
the mill type device; plug one card into the S-Bus on a SPARCstation, plug
the other card into your VME cardcage, and run the flat ribbon cable
between them.

Their newer adaptor is a lot more interesting.  It is a 9U VME card that
has a large area cut out.  This cutout is the size and shape of a
SPARCengine-2.  (This is the exact same motherboard found in a
SPARCstation-2, and can be purchased seperately from Sun.)

So, this means that you can purchase a SPARCengine-2 board, connect it to
the Solflower board, plug the whole thing into your 3/160 enclosure, and
end up with something that runs faster than a SPARCserver-490 !!!

The above observations are based on just a 5-minute visit to their booth,
for more info contact them directly.   #include <std/disclaimer>

	Solflower Computer, Inc.
	2362 Qume Drive, Suite A
	San Jose, CA 95131
	Phone: (408)456-5055
	Fax:   (408)456-0625

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms at tardis.tymnet.com or jms at gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-C51    | BIX: smithjoe | CA license plate: "POPJ P," (PDP-10)
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga 3000 speaks for me."